Monday, June 16, 2008

True Classic

I just finished reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and I love love LOVE it! I loved this whole book from the first sentence to the last and I will read it at least 5 times more throughout my life. I loved the Nolan family and the Rommely girls. Her descriptions of the people hid nothing, all their faults were laid along side their virtues, but you loved them. Their faults seemed... sensible, somehow. Not like the novels with the heroines I wrote about whose only faults were an unawareness of their own beauty or a fiery but charming temper or a sensitive pride. I loved Katy in spite of her favoritism towards Neely. I loved Sissy in spite of her senselessness and deceptions. I loved everyone she laid bare in this novel. I loved how some periods of their lives were written in much detail and some skimmed over with just vague descriptions of what had passed. It was the perfect mix with all the desired information covered. I'll stop gushing now, but I must say I am looking forward to other classics much more than before.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! It gives me inspiration to finish. I got sidetracked by a couple of really good historical novels. Do you want to pick the book for July?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. You guys did such a good job. I don't really know any good classics like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I'm afraid I'll be disappointed in one I'd pick because it's not as good! I'll do some research and see if I can come up with one, though. Eeek! I think I just heard a gunshot!

    ReplyDelete