Monday, March 17, 2008

Gothic

Anbo, I read your blog about your love for Gothic novels and decided to give it a try. I read Thirteen Tales, and I really enjoyed it. It was a thoroughly engrossing read and it was vivid enough that imagining the people and settings came naturally without being so descriptive you forgot what was being described in the first place. The library didn't have Fingersmith, so I checked out Sarah Waters' Night Watch, which is most decidedly NOT Gothic, so I just stopped reading it. I have the Historian and plan to start reading it tonight. I'll let you know what I think.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked The Thirteenth Tale! It was one of my favorites last year. The Historian is also pretty good. Fingersmith, however, might not work. If a lesbian theme bothers you I wouldn't try any of Sarah Waters' books. I just finished Fingersmith (I'll do a post on it soon) and it was very good, but did have a strong lesbian theme.

    ReplyDelete